- Group Study Areas
- Quiet Study Areas
- Special Collections Room
- Inclusive Technology Lab
- Writing and Research Services Area
- Okanagan Regional Library Branch
- Share your thoughts about our spaces
Group Study Areas
All study rooms are bookable online. A current Novell login is required to book a study room.
The following policies apply to all rooms:
- Bookings can only be made by groups of 2 or more UBC students, faculty and staff.
- Bookings are limited to a maximum of 2 hours; up to 6 hours per week, per person.
- Bookings can be made up to 21 days in advance.
- Groups who are more than 10 minutes late forfeit their booking time.
- The Library has 8 study rooms and a bookable recording studio. The Commons has 31 study rooms. The EME has 18 study rooms.
- For Graduate Study Rooms on Floor 3 of The Commons, request access by following the instructions here.
- The Recording Studio (LIB 123) is equipped with a consumer HD camera, audio and video recording software and optional lighting along with a step by step user guide. Students can check out SmartBoard kits, whiteboard kits, USBs, adaptors, and keys to Studio 123 at the Library Service Desk.
- The main area of the first floor of the Library also has a variety of seating areas – couches, soft seating, and large group tables – for group work and individual study. Quiet conversation is permitted in these areas.
Quiet Study Areas
The Library maintains several quiet study areas to be used for individual silent study, including:
- Field Reading Room on the first floor of the library
- East Reading Room on the first floor of the library
- Study Carrels and 14 computers are located on the second floor of the library
If you have noise complaints in any of the quiet areas, please contact the Library Service Desk.
Special Collections Room
Special Collections materials and room are available for use by UBC students, faculty, and staff as well as community members who have a valid library card.
Inclusive Technology Lab
The Inclusive Technology Lab (ITL), located in LIB101, is a space to experiment with assistive technology. It provides students with six assistive technology workstations, a distraction-reduced study space, and an accessible group study space. Additionally, a range of assistive technology can be borrowed from the Library Service Desk, located centrally on the first floor of the Library.
Learn more about the Inclusive Technology Lab.
Okanagan Regional Library @ UBCO
The Okanagan Regional Library operates a branch on the first floor of the Library. Anyone with an ORL library card can take out books, access online streaming services, and put holds on books for pick-up. An ORL staff member will be in the branch on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. and can assist with any questions on their collections at that time. Students, faculty, and staff can access the branch during Library hours. This unique partnership offers a number of benefits, including:
- Book pick up and check out on holds
- Borrow from ORL’s small popular collection
- Relax, read, and socialize during breaks in comfy chairs
- Access online resources like streaming popular documentaries, listen to jazz, or learn a new language
- Free access to ORL eBooks, InstantFlix, Naxos Music Library and more
For more information on the Okanagan Regional Library and to see where there is a branch in your neighbourhood, visit http://www.orl.bc.ca/
Share your thoughts about our spaces
Do you have comments and suggestions about any of our spaces? Let us know using our Questions, Comments & Suggestions form.