UBC Okanagan Library is an inclusive, wellness-oriented place, a service-focused team, and a nexus of scholarly engagement.
Themes are taken directly from our Mission, and are lenses through which all priorities and initiatives should be viewed.
Our library acknowledges, encourages, celebrates and commits to ongoing learning and action from diverse experiences and perspectives. We work to identify and eliminate institutional and structural systems of oppression and power including but not limited to colonialism, racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, and white supremacy.
We acknowledge that the Okanagan Campus Library is located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the Syilx Peoples. Our library strives to take action and reflect in a respectful and reciprocal manner with Indigenous communities and incorporate their perspectives through the inclusion of Indigenous Peoples, worldviews, ways of knowing, and protocols. We commit to a path of transparency and truth telling for this organization to learn and make decisions from.
Our library embeds health into all aspects of our space and service design, and encourages health promotion action, personal development, and sustainability among our employees at all levels of the organization.
Our library continues to evolve physical and virtual services to meet the diverse needs of Library users, and ensures that they contribute to both academic excellence and the literacies needed to navigate today’s world.
Our library is committed to meaningful and mutually beneficial partnership and collaboration with campus and community in the pursuit of scholarly excellence.
Enablers are where we propose to invest in order to operationalize priorities and achieve our goals.
We invest in the growth, development, and diversity of library employees, and plan and manage resources effectively to position the organization for sustained change and growth.
We share and celebrate our stories, achievements and value in coordinated and accessible ways, with a focus on meeting users where they are.
We evaluate and improve services and operations based on the best available outcomes and user needs.
Pillars are core areas of focus for our Library.
Discovery and Research
We play a critical role in the research enterprise, providing leadership and expertise in a growing range of services that advance all forms of scholarship.
- Provide enhanced data supports and services to researchers.
- Facilitate and accelerate the adoption of best research practices.
- Advocate and support open, discoverable, and emerging forms of scholarship.
Teaching and Learning
We support transformational teaching and learning, partnering with students and faculty throughout their academic careers.
- Strengthen partnerships and programming in support of teaching, learning, and academic integrity.
- Increase the creation and adoption of open educational resources.
- Integrate the principles of equity, diversity, inclusion, accessibility and indigeneity into our instructional approaches.
Spaces and Collections
We offer dynamic learning environments and robust collections, enabling experimentation and encouraging creative approaches to research, teaching and learning.
- Provide flexible, technology-enabled spaces that respond to the emerging needs of learners and researchers.
- Initiate strategic projects in response to reconciliation, inclusion, diversity, equity, anti-racism, and accessibility imperatives.
- Invest in new and emerging digital resources in line with institutional priorities.
Campus and Community
We strive to make resources accessible to all, enriching the quality of life for the campus and local communities.
- Design and deliver impactful programming with and for campus partners.
- Collaborate with external partners on initiatives and events in service to the community and region.
- Support and deliver access to academic resources for local communities.
We are a globally influential research library, leading and partnering with the University and communities in the creation, stewardship, exploration and discovery of knowledge.
Annual Senate Reports
The UBC Okanagan Library prepares an annual report, providing an overview of the organization and its progress over the course of the year.