For most users, such as students, faculty, and staff, all you need to borrow from the UBC Library is your UBCcard. See exceptions for other types of users.
Once you have your UBCcard, you’ll automatically have access to UBC Library loans and services. Use your account to renew items, create and view item lists, view recalls and fines, change your pin, place a DocDel order or Interlibrary Loan Request (ILL).
Your card will be required any time that you sign out materials. Please note that UBC Library loan regulations apply to card use.
Contactless Pickup Service
Our contactless pickup service will retrieve and sign out materials for you from the UBC Library collection and make them available in a locker in the Commons building.
- Find your item of interest in the Catalogue.
- Click the “Get It” link (formerly labelled DocDel). In addition to requesting access to library material, you can also request that chapters or single articles from print journals get copied (subject to copyright restrictions) and delivered to you by email.
- Select your home branch / pick-up location (Okanagan Library Service Desk).
- Check your email for confirmation that we have received your request.
- Your books will be signed out to you ahead of time and placed in the lockers on floor zero of the Commons building (lower Fitzpatrick Hall) inside the entry to Okanagan Special Collections (COM 004).
- When your item is ready, we will send you an email with the locker number and combination.
- Come to campus, visit the lockers on floor zero of the Commons building (lower Fitz Hall). The Commons is currently open from 8am-10pm seven days a week.
- Unlock the locker using the combination provided.
How to return your items:
- Place your items in the book drop at the South entrance of the Library.
How quickly can I get material?
Delivery times will vary depending on if you are requesting Okanagan or Vancouver material. We will do our best to fill your request as quickly as possible. Your patience is appreciated.
How long is the loan period?
All items are signed out for normal loan periods and patrons can renew as needed.
Can I get material from the Vancouver campus?
Yes, you are able to request copies and loan of items held in the Vancouver collections.
What protocols are you following to ensure my safety?
Our staff are following safety protocols outlined in our Safe Work Plan. Commonly touched surfaces (e.g. lockers, handles, keypads) are sanitized after each use. All items leaving and returning to the library complete a mandatory quarantine period (see below).
Do I need to disinfect the items when I pick them up?
No, all materials are quarantined for at least 24 hours before they are place in the lockers. All items that are returned to the library also complete a 24hr quarantine period. This 24hr quarantine period attempts to strike a balance between research that reveals that the SARS-CoV-2 virus remains viable up to 24hrs on cardboard and up to 72hrs on plastic in experimental conditions with recent guidance from the BC Center for Disease Control and the BC Ministry of Health which suggests that there is “no evidence that the COVID-19 virus is transmitted via textbooks, paper or other paper-based products” (p. 5).
Please email email@example.com
Borrow a Laptop
Local contactless borrowing service is available at UBC Okanagan campus for those who need to borrow a laptop. Follow the link below and select the ‘Get It’ option. You will be contacted by email for loan conditions and on-campus pickup details.
These services are free for UBC students, faculty, and staff. Items would be delivered to the UBC Okanagan Library and would be available through our contactless pickup service.
Document Delivery service provides you with items from UBC Vancouver.
Interlibrary Loan service is available for materials not held by UBC Library; however, access to print Interlibrary Loans requests are unavailable while most academic libraries are closed. Employees will make every effort to fill requests for digital materials; however, it may take some time to follow up with your requests.
Please keep physical ILL items already in your possession until the Library reopens. Fines will not be charged for items due during the closure.
If you have any questions, or need help with your request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Explore more UBC Library borrowing services including access storage; loans policies and fines; and reciprocal borrowing.